Vegan Meatloaf – wip. Let's start with the meat; after all, you can't make meatloaf without it, but that's not what we're doing here. With this recipe I share how to make a juicy succulent meat loaf for vegans, vegetarians and all to enjoy. In addition, you don't need to worry about the ratio of fat to lean meat.
This Vegan Meat Loaf from Delish.com is a crowd-pleasing meatless meal for everyone, even meat lovers. This vegan meatloaf is incredibly easy to make & is sure to please with it's deep & savoury flavour. See my video for a visual guide. You can have Vegan Meatloaf – wip using 13 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vegan Meatloaf – wip
- You need of Salt & crushed black pepper.
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of walnuts (minced).
- You need 1/4 cup of cashews (minced).
- Prepare 2 of garlic cloves.
- You need 1 of brown or red onion.
- You need 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of fresh flat-leaf parsley (chopped finely).
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of mixed vegan meat (soy free).
- You need 2 cups of dried mushrooms (soaked, strained & chopped).
- Prepare 1 cup of fresh mushrooms (chopped finely).
- You need 1 cup of vegan cheese.
- It’s of Sherry or red wine vinegar.
Ingredients of Vegan Meatloaf – wip. Prepare of Salt & crushed black pepper. In the meantime make the tomato glaze. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well.
Vegan Meatloaf – wip instructions
- Soak the dried mushrooms in room temp water for 30mins before you strain, dry & chop it up.
- Soak the chopped mushrooms in a touch of sherry or red wine vinegar and veggie stock and set aside..
- Prep a baking tray with butter and baking/parchment paper or line with foil.
- Lightly sauté your finely minced onion and garlic together and then set it aside for a few minutes to cool a little..
- Pop the vegan meat into a large bowl along with salt, pepper, saughtéed minced onion and garlic, soaked mushrooms and your chopped parsley..
- Using your hands (the absolute best kitchen tool you have!), carefully and gently mix the ingredients together just until they are blended and come together. Just remember not to over mix!.
- Now, skip the loaf pan, it's truly better without it! This way, the meatloaf isn't steamed but rather gets a delicious outer crust..
- Turn your mixture out onto your prepared tray and shape, by hand, into a loaf shape..
- You can decide how you want to cover the top; brush the outside with some tomato sauce, sprinkle with some additional dried herbs (ie basil, rosemary, oregano) and/or grated vegan cheese. I topped it with vegan bacon strips..
- Bake at 160°C (320°F) for about 55mins – 1 hour..
- Allow the meatloaf to rest for about 10-15mins, very loosely tented with foil before slicing and serving..
- Serve with a side of any veggies/salads you like. I served mine with lightly fried green beans, chilli jam & butter sauce..
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. This vegan meatloaf includes a simple glaze that whips up in just a few minutes. The base of this recipe is tempeh, which makes it very filling and provides a rich, meaty texture. This is my personal favorite for serving to non-vegan friends. For those who long for Mom's classic recipe, this vegan meatloaf may be better than the real thing, for lots of reasons!