You can have Pav bhaji using 19 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pav bhaji
- Prepare 2 of large potatoes boiled.
- It’s 1/2 head of cauliflower boiled.
- You need 1/2 cup of frozen green peas boiled.
- You need 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of butter unsalted divided.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Prepare 2 of medium red onion finely chopped.
- You need 2 inch of ginger finely chopped.
- It’s 7 of garlic cloves finely chopped.
- It’s 1/3 cup of tomato puree store bought.
- You need 3 of large tomatoes finely chopped.
- You need 2 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 2 cups of water.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of pav bhaji masala.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of red chilli powder.
- You need 3 tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
- It’s 12-14 of pav eggless dinner rolls.
- Prepare as needed of butter to toast the pav.
- Prepare 1 tsp of pav bhaji masala to sprinkle.
Pav bhaji instructions
- Take all the vegetables listed in the ingredients. Wash them in running water and cut them into small pieces..
- Boil the veggies first and keep them ready..
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and oil in a large pot on medium heat. Once the butter melts and oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle..
- Cook the ginger-garlic-green chili for 1 minute..
- Cook the onions for around 4 minutes until golden brown in color. Add the finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chili. Again, I used my food processor to chop them really fine..
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Let the tomatoes cook for 2 minutes..
- Add tomato puree, 1/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover the pan and let the tomato cook for 6 minutes until softened and completely cooked..
- Add the pav bhaji masala, red chili powder and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. You may also add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar here (optional)..
- Mix well and then add in 2 teaspoons of kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)..
- Stir in the boiled veggies and mix..
- Using a potato masher, mash the veggies until they are completely mixed with the masala..
- Add the remaining 3/4 – 1 cup water and mix. I used an immersion blender to blend the veggies to a paste like consistency, this is optional. You may keep them as such..
- Cover the pot and set heat to low. Let the bhaji simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Open the pot and add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and paneer cubes..
- Add a generous amount of chopped cilantro..
- To toast the pav, melt butter on a pan. Sprinkle some pav bhaji masala on top of the butter and then place the buns on the pan..
- Press to toast the pav until crisp and golden brown from both sides..
- To serve the pav bhaji, place ladle full of bhaji in a plate. Top the bhaji with a dollop of butter. Serve with 2 pavs and a side of chopped onions and a lemon wedge. I like to serve with lots of onions on the sides, it tastes really amazing that way!.