Foxtail Millet Upma.
You can have Foxtail Millet Upma using 13 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Foxtail Millet Upma
- You need 1 of medium sized onion.
- Prepare 1 of thai chillie.
- It’s 8-9 of curry leaves.
- You need 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds.
- It’s 1 of small piece of fresh ginger grated.
- Prepare 1 of medium sized carrot diced.
- It’s 1 of medium sized red potato diced.
- You need 1 handful of cilantro leaves.
- It’s 1 tsp of Himalayan salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder.
- You need 2 tbsp of vegetable/corn/avocado oil.
- It’s 1.5 cups of Foxtail millet.
- Prepare 2.5 cups of water.
Foxtail Millet Upma step by step
- Soak the foxtail Millet in water for 20mins before cooking.
- Heat the oil in a dry clay pot or stainless steel vessel or any vessel that can hold 5 cups of ingredients.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves to the oil and wait until it splutters.
- Add onions and Thai chili and sauté it in the oil for 3-5 mins.
- Add grated ginger, carrot and potatoes and sauté it for another 3 mins..
- Now add 2.5 cups of water to these ingredients and allow it to boil.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to boiling water.
- Reduce the flame and add separately soaked foxtail millet to the boiling mixture and evenly spread the Millet within the water.
- Close the lid of the vessel and allow to cook for 5-10mins in low heat.
- When you open the lid, you will see holes as the Millet firms up and water evaporates and check until all the water has evaporated.
- Serve it by garnishing fresh cilantro leaves.
- This dish is best served with coconut chutney or walnut chutney.