Our Family Recipe for Chicken Karaage.
You can cook Our Family Recipe for Chicken Karaage using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Our Family Recipe for Chicken Karaage
- You need 3 of to 4 Chicken thigh meat.
- It’s 1 of Salt and pepper.
- It’s 2 tbsp of ★ Soy sauce.
- It’s 2 tbsp of ★ Cooking sake.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ★ Honey (or sugar).
- Prepare 1 tsp of ★ Grated garlic.
- It’s 2 tsp of ★ Grated ginger.
- Prepare 1 of Egg, medium.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Katakuriko.
- It’s 3 of heaping tablespoons Plain flour.
- You need 1 of for frying Oil.
Our Family Recipe for Chicken Karaage step by step
- Remove the sinew from the the chicken so it's easy to chew and more delicious. If you look at the edges of the meat you'll see some white stringy sinews so grab ahold of one and tug with a knife. It goes easier if you put the meat skin side up and move the knife..
- The meat will shrink a bit when you fry it, so cut into generous pieces. I cut one piece into 6 pieces. Season lightly with salt and pepper and put into a large bowl..
- Add all the ingredients marked ★ and rub into the meat with your hands. Marinate for at least 30 minutes..
- Add the egg and mix well, then add katakuriko and flour and mix some more. When it's no longer floury, it's good. Marinate in the refrigerator for another 20 minutes..
- Deep fry the meat. Set the oil temperature to about 180°C. If you don't have a thermometer measure the temperature with cooking chopsticks. If small bubbles are coming fast out of the chopsticks the temperature is right. I use enough oil to come up to about 1/3 of the height of the chicken pieces..
- Scoop up the meat and batter with a large spoon and put into the hot oil. When you put the chicken in the oil temperature will go down fast, but don't panic, just watch the oil. I don't turn up the heat. The reason for this is that the meat pieces are large, so they cook slowly..
- This is after the chicken is flipped over. The oil might spit a bit so be careful. As time passes the temperature of the oil will rise again, and the meat will become nice and golden brown. When the pieces are fried, take them out and drain the oil away. If you're not sure, cut a piece in half to see if it's cooked through..
- Finished! Serve with your favorite salad..
- The next day I served the chicken cut up into 1 cm pieces mixed with the shredded cabbage from the salad the day before. Serve with mayonnaise or your favorite dressing..