Friendship cakes / Bosnian Hairy Cakes.
You can have Friendship cakes / Bosnian Hairy Cakes using 15 ingredients and 20 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Friendship cakes / Bosnian Hairy Cakes
- You need of The cake.
- You need 2 1/2 cup of flour.
- You need 1 cup of sugar.
- You need 3/4 cup of skim milk.
- It’s 2/3 cup of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 3 of eggs.
- It’s 3 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare of chocolate coating.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of milk.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of water.
- It’s 10 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of baking cocoa.
- Prepare 2 of ghiradelli 60% cocoa baking bars minus two squares. 4 ounces each bar.
- Prepare of coconut coating.
- You need 14 oz of of coconut powder, this is dried unsweetened coconut.
Friendship cakes / Bosnian Hairy Cakes instructions
- Preheat oven to 380°F..
- In mixing bowl, mix eggs, sugar. Beat well then add milk and oil..
- In another bowl, mix baking soda in with flour. Then slowly beat into wet ingredients. Incorporate well..
- In a greased and floured 11″ by 13 “” baking pan add batter and cook 20 minutes until lightly golden..
- Set cake aside to cool..
- While cake is baking start chocolate coating..
- In a bowl add cocoa powder, milk,and sugar. Whisk this up well. Then in large sauce pan add water, oil, cocoa mix and ghiradelli bars broken in pieces. Don't forget to leave out two squares. This is always reserved for the baker!.
- Cook this on medium high, whisking often. Cook until it comes to a low boil. Now you must be careful in these steps. Once it starts to come to a boil it will rise in pot. Lower heat immediately and whisk vigorously. It may be necessary to lift off heat until mixture settles. Resume cooking on low medium heat for 4-5 minutes until it is silky and much thicker in consistency. This whole process can take up to 20 minutes and needs your full attention..
- Take off heat and allow to cool. Your cake should be ready to come out of the oven by the time you finish sauce if you prepare your ingredients ahead of time. This way cake and sauce can cool..
- If sauce and cake are now cool to the touch, start an assembly line..
- Cut edges off of cake, about 1/4 ” thick. You need the edges exposed to absorb more coating..
- In cake pan, cut cake into 15 even sized squares. Next have pot of cocoa ready to dip in cake and coat. Then pour half of your coconut into a third bowl. Have a platter ready for coated cakes..
- Take each cake piece and dip into chocolate to coat all sides. Using your clean fingers is best way. Next drip off excess quickly and place into coconut. Coat all sides in coconut and place on platter. Continue with all cakes..
- About halfway through replenish with fresh coconut as it will darken with chocolate drippings..
- Store in airtight container. These are best when left to refrigerate at least 6 hours. Cakes must be stored in refrigeration. This is great for day before needing preparations..
- Now don't throw those edges out!!! We coat them the same with remainder ingredients and eat these right away. Not pretty but darn delicious!.
- These cakes come from my dear friend Ela. We knick named them friendship cakes but are a traditional cake from Bosnia known as hairy cakes. We later found out they are similar to Australia's lammington cakes. They look identical but recipe varies. It seems two countries know great cakes and now Ela has allowed me to share with you..
- Take a cake or two and see if a friendship blooms! Enjoy!!!.
- Recipe by Ela brought to you by taylor68too..
- Ela and her family! Love you guys!!.