Grilled Rice in Banana Leaves/Nasi Bakar.
You can cook Grilled Rice in Banana Leaves/Nasi Bakar using 27 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Grilled Rice in Banana Leaves/Nasi Bakar
- It’s of For the rice (cook in rice cooker).
- Prepare 2.5 cup of rice.
- It’s 1.5 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of water.
- You need 1 pcs of lemongrass, take the white part, pound and cut in big section.
- You need 2 of Indonesian bay leaves.
- It’s 2 cm of galangal/blue ginger (smashed).
- Prepare to taste of Salt and chicken seasoning.
- You need of For the chicken filling.
- You need 300 gr of breast chicken meat.
- It’s of Stinky beans (petai/pete) skip this if you don’t like.
- It’s 1 tbsp of oyster sauce.
- Prepare of Salt, pepper, sugar.
- Prepare 3 of lime leaves (remove the hard part and slice thinly).
- It’s of Spice Paste (put everything in food processor).
- You need 4 pcs of big red chillies.
- It’s 2 pcs of chilli padi / bird’s eye chilli (omit this if you don’t want spicy).
- You need 5 of shallots.
- It’s 3 of garlic cloves.
- It’s 2 of candle nuts.
- It’s 2 cm of fresh ginger.
- Prepare 2 cm of fresh turmeric.
- You need 2 cm of galangal/blue ginger.
- Prepare 1 stalk of lemongrass, take only the white part and finely mince.
- You need of Others:.
- It’s of Fried silver fish (store bought).
- It’s leaves of Basil.
- Prepare of Banana leaves to wrap.
Interesting Article : Easiest Way to Make Award-winning The Best Five Traditional Indonesian Cake Jajan Pasar )
Grilled Rice in Banana Leaves/Nasi Bakar step by step
- Rinse the rice. Add the rice, lemongrass, bay leaves, galangal, salt, coconut milk & water and cook in rice cooker according to the instruction. Once cooked, taste and add any salt/seasoning if it is not salty enough. Mix with fried silver fish. Note: fried silver fish is very salty already so no need to add too much salt to the rice..
- Put all ingredients for the spice paste in food processor until become a very smooth paste..
- For chicken filling: boil the chicken breast until fully cooked and shred the chicken..
- In a pan, heat some oil, fry the spice paste until fragrant and add the shredded chicken and stink beans (if you use them). Season with salt, sugar, pepper, oyster sauce to your taste..
- Clean the banana leaves and soak in boiling water for a few minutes to soften the leaves and to kill any harmful bacteria or virus..
- To assemble: take 2 layer of banana leaves (to make sure the rice won’t leak. Put rice, continued with chicken fillings, add some basil leaves on top, and wrap everything together, secure the sides with toothpicks.
- Some recipe said that we can steam the rice again for 10 minutes to make sure all tastes blend together (but you can skip this step).
- Grilled this wrapped rice in your griller. I use happycall pan as I do not have a griller :).
- Ready to serve 🙂 It is very fragrant and tasty..
- Note: as this recipe calls for many steps, we can clean the banana leaves the day before. Maybe cook the rice or the fillings the day before (don’t forget to keep it in the fridge if you keep it overnight) and just assemble and grilled the wrapped rice before you serve it..