Cherry Pies (or Apple, Peach, Rhubarb).
You can cook Cherry Pies (or Apple, Peach, Rhubarb) using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cherry Pies (or Apple, Peach, Rhubarb)
- Prepare 3 cups of fresh pitted Cherries, Peaches, Apples or Rhubarb.
- Prepare 1 cup of caster sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- Prepare 2 tsp of cornflour.
- It’s 1 pinch of salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- Prepare 1.5 Tsp of vanilla.
- Prepare of Pie Making.
- You need 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator.
- It’s 1 of egg wash (1 large egg beaten with 2 teaspoons milk).
- You need of Coarse Sugar for topping.
Cherry Pies (or Apple, Peach, Rhubarb) instructions
- Place fruit, sugar and lemon juice into a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved..
- Mix cornflour in a small bowl with enough water to form a smooth paste then add to the fruit in the saucepan with the Cinnamon and salt and mix well..
- Continue to stir the mixture until it comes to a boil and becomes slightly thickened. It should become glossy, at which point add Vanilla, mix well and remove from the heat and allow to cool at room temperature..
- Pie Making (makes 6).
- Line a large flat baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. On a lightly floured surface, lay one pastry sheet on top of the other (leave liner between the sheets). Using a sharp knife, and a ruler, cut the sheets into 6 squares. 6 of these squares will be the bottom pastry pie crust, 6 will be the top. Transfer 6 bottom rectangles to the prepared baking tray..
- Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of the bottom rectangles with the egg wash. Spoon 2-3 Tablespoons of cooled fruit mixture onto each of the 6 bottom squares. Place the top squares over the cherry filling, lining up the edges as best you can. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal shut. Slice 2-3 slits in the tops for air vents (use a super sharp knife to do this)..
- Brush the tops of the pastry pies with egg wash, then sprinkle with coarse sugar. Chill the pies in the refrigerator for at least 25 minutes..
- Remaining filling can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen into portions..
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees during chill time..
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Rotate baking tray once or twice during baking time..
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool until ready to serve. Seal the remaining pies (if there are any left) in a container and refrigerate for up to 5 days..