You can have Beef Rendang using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Beef Rendang
- It’s of chuck or blade steak.
- You need of red chillies deseeded if you like it mild.
- You need of garlic.
- You need of cinnamon barks.
- It’s of lemongrass.
- You need of cloves.
- It’s of Salam leaves subs with 7 bay leaves.
- You need of kaffir lime leaves.
- Prepare of ginger.
- Prepare of galangal.
- It’s of nutmeg.
- It’s of tumeric (I omit it here).
- It’s of sugar.
- You need of salt.
- It’s of coconut cream.
Beef Rendang step by step
- Blend using about 400 mL coconut cream all the spice but lemongrass, cinnamon barks, kaffir lime leaves, Salam leaves and galangal..
- Cook the spice mix on low heat including all the leaves, galangal, nutmeg, salt, pepper and sugar without oil or water until fragrant and oily (pic 2).
- Add the diced meat, turn up the heat to medium and make sure meat is covered with the sauce. After 10 minutes of cooking and the juice from meat is out (pic 2) you might want to use your pressure cooker and cook for 10-15 minutes. (Blade steak for 20 minutes).
- Safely open the pressure cooker’s lid and take out all the meat and set aside..
- Add the remaining coconut cream and keep cooking the sauce on low heat for about 3-5 hours on low heat, stir occasionally. The sauce should be dark and looks creamy (pic 2). The original recipe called for cooking the meat and sauce on low heat for about 9 hours. You can cut the cooking time, but it’s not rendang, it’s called kalio..
- Put the meat and sauce together and cook for a further 15-30 minutes..
- Serve with steam rice and fresh salad leaves / chopped cucumbers..